Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I am cursed

I am having the most horrible week. Let me just bitch for a minute.

Sunday goes like this...
Driving at 0430 down a rural road at 55 mph, on my way to
work...BAM...right into a dog. It had no chance. Blood & guts
everywhere. I didn't see it at all.
So, I'm crying all the way to work. As I get out of my truck, I lock
the door just as I realize that I've left the keys in the ignition.
Thankfully, a NICU nurse had her roadside assistance come help me.
That afternoon, a frequent flier coded. We worked him for an hour
until his wife & son got there. I HATE stopping CPR in front of the
family. Then he's just laying there, dead, with broken ribs & an ETT
hanging out of his mouth all purple and, well, dead. . How horrible to
see your loved one like that.
Then I had a guy come in the ER in severe respiratory distress
clutching a bottle of Primatine Mist. They decide to let the PA work
this & he has me put him on BiPAP. 30 minutes later his gas shows a
pco2 of 179. Our brilliant PA says, "Wow, that's high. Let's see how
he does."

WTF?!?!

So I went to the ER doc & he wants to Intubate yesterday.

Thank you.

When I got home. Yep, I did it again. Locked my damn keys in the
truck again.

So I just poured a glass of wine & went to bed so nothing else could
happen.

And that was just Sunday.

Today, I get home from a 12 hr shift to find one of my dogs limping
and bleeding with a huge lac on her left shoulder & another on her
right hind leg. We have had trouble with these dogs up the road
trying to get in our yard. Apparently today they were successful & my
girl got f'd up. What if she was attacked early morning & I didn't
find her until tonight? I feel so bad!!! How long had she been laying
there bleeding & in pain?

Like the RT in me, I can't deal with wounds, not even my own dogs. So
now it's 2300 & my husband is at the vet getting her stitched up --
800 dollars later.

I think that dead dog has cursed me.

Another glass of wine for me & hopefully this nightmare will be over
when I wake up in the morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a rotten couple of days...hope things start looking up for you.

Good luck to your doggie, too. Poor pup...

Rogue Medic said...

Sorry to hear about such a rotten day.

Great job getting the patient intubated. if you had not gone to the ED doctor, there might have been another family notification to deal with.

Carry a spare key. I always do. It simplifies things. :-)

How is the dog?