Thursday, November 6, 2008

Death

I have seen hundreds of people die. I have taken more people off life
support than I care to remember. I have stopped compressions while
loved ones pleaded for us to continue. I have talked to patients and
told them to 'go to the light' when their family is too selfish to let
them go.

So why is death so upsetting when it's someone I know?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always worse when it's someone you know. One of our respiratory therapists died on our cath lab table about a month ago, and I am glad I didn't have to go to the code...

...My condolences to you. Loss is always hard.

Yo mama! said...

I'd have to say, I've walked a mile in your shoes, and I still have a hard time when someone close to me dies. But, I do have to say, it's never easy to remove a tube, but it's always easy to hold their hand and say it's ok to go....because you know, you never want to see someone suffer in a bad way.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that you lost someone close to you; that is never easy.

It's easier (I say easier but I can't think of a better word) to lose a patient because you didn't grow up with them, I believe. I worked as a Hospice aide for about two years and in that time I saw about 50 people die while I was there in front of them.

My sympathies. I hope you can find some closure in the near future.

Anonymous said...

I think it always easier to give advice than to take it. I really dont think it would matter how many people you have watched die some one you care for is way different you have alot more emotions mixed in the way. I watched both my grandparents pass from cancer and took care of them to the end you would think i would be prepared and all but not the case it still tears me up to this day. Im so deeply sorry you lost a loved one my prayers are with you and god bless.

Sarah said...

I think it's because we are able to separate ourselves from the job. I know I build a wall around my emotions or I would never be able to do my job. We also only really see a snippet of these people's lives. With those we know...it's different. We KNOW them.

Rick Frea said...

Very interesting discussion. So true.

TOTWTYTR said...

Because you're human and a total burn out. It's easier to deal with people you don't know because... you don't know them.

I even get a little sad or upset when one of the "regulars" dies or even if it's someone I don't particularly like.

Just part of being a person as well as a medical professional.

Take it as a good sign for your sanity and emotional stability.

Rogue Medic said...

It is just different when there is some kind of connection. Part of this is that it reminds us that everyone we know can die and that we can die. It is so much easier to ignore this, when there is no perceived connection.