Sunday, June 22, 2008

When its your time...

I got a call saying a man was coming in already intubated. So, I went
and set up a vent in er5.

This 80ish man was biba & an anesthesiologist. He was at a local
surgery center getting some sort of dialysis shunt. He wasnt doing
well after the procedure, so the anesthesiologist reintubated him and
came with the patient in the ambulance. Wow.

We gave him some narcan and some time. He was extubated and sent home
a few hours later. He told us how hungry he was and wanted to go out
to eat before he got home. His nurse said he should take it easy, get
take out, and go home.

Fast forward two hours, I get a call that a full arrest is coming in.
Yep, you guessed it, same guy. He collapsed right when they got home,
in the driveway. I took over compressions, checked the monitor and
nothing. Dr F & his previous nurse are freaking out. The were feeling
so horrible.

We coded this guy forever and finally got a rhythm.

So far this guy tried to die twice in one day. But no, we dont let
people die peacefully. We have to break their ribs, and torture them
with painful procedures.

I heard he died the next day during dialysis.

When its your time, its your time, no matter what we try to do.

5 comments:

Yo mama! said...

I've encountered a couple of VENTED folks whom every single time they had dialysis they coded.

Must be something about the extreme fluid and electrolyte shifts that make 'em want to meet their maker.

Rick Frea said...

It took a lot of class by your doctors to actually discharge him after the first episode.

cwjsmama said...

Heidi--a friend of mine died at an outpatient dialysis center. We seem to get quite a few patients from the one down the street.
Freadom--I never said I worked at a GOOD hospital. :/

Sarah said...

I had a patient code 5 times the other day. She was determined to go!

MOJITOGIRL said...

That's why the little bells go off in my head when a patient says "I think I'm going to die" because usually they do. I tell them it's against hospital policy to say those things out loud. Because SOMETHING UGLY usually happens.

It's a bit creepy, no?