Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fomites

What the hell is a fomite?

We are expecting a visit from CMS any day now. It seems that our last
visit didn't go so well. The hospital has been buzzing this week with
suits trying to get us ready. So, guess what my task was yesterday....

Not only did I have the er & pcu...during my down time I had to, get
this, PEEL THE OLD TAPE OFF THE WALLS. No, not in patient care areas,
but off the walls inside our department.

Beware of those fomites!!!

4 comments:

Rogue Medic said...

You need to put on a flame thrower and go eliminate the suit wearing fomites.

CMS inspectors are also fomites.

Remember "I was only following orders."

Anonymous said...

Wow. Just...wow.

I can't wait for CMS to come to our hospital. If we pulled the tape off the walls the whole place would probably crumble to dust.

TOTWTYTR said...

Stuff taped to walls always seems to be a big issue for the inspectors-who-never-do-patient-care-any-more who do these inspections.

I can always tell when one of the local EDs is prepping for inspection. All the taped on stuff comes off and the walls get a new coat of paint. Also old privacy curtains get replaced with new ones. Everything gets moved and the floors get cleaned and waxed.

It's universal.

Rogue Medic said...

Universal precautions?

Tape off, paint on, scene safe.