Monday, September 29, 2008

Dead girl walking

I've heard stories, but never seen it until now.

61 yo female outside smoking with her friend complains of chest pain &
collapses. Paramedics get there within 5 minutes & begin CPR. It takes
them exactly 30 minutes to get to the hospital. In that time, she
gets...
Epi x 4
Atro x 1
Ami x 1
& is defib'd 4 times. She goes from
Vfib to pea to asystole back to vfib to jr.

Now she is in our er. We take over CPR. Here she gets...
Epi x 4
Defib'd 3 more times

Still nothing. So they decided to stop & everyone leaves the room.

A minute or two later, a nurse goes back into her room & guess what?!?!

She's alive!!!

The doctor gives her a grim prognosis & the family makes her a dnr.

Four days on the vent, weaned & extubated.

She is currently on tele on the floor. Absolutely fine neuro-wise. She
can't believe what happened.

She does, however, complain of sternal pain where her chest is
bruised :)

Small price to pay for life.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I've seen this more times than I ever thought I would!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow!

Rogue Medic said...

I've had patients regain pulses after being pronounced dead , but none have ever survived more than a few hours beyond that.

Rick Frea said...

Remarkable.

Yo mama! said...

That old cougar has nine lives....

What wigs me out is when you have brain-death proven by CT Scan and apnea tests and when you go to pull the tube the patient's hand comes up as if to say "don't let me die".....Mudder flubber!

Somenurse said...

that is amazing!